2nd or 3rd Shift openings
We are growing!! General Stamping & Metalworks has a solid history in South Bend since the early 1920's. We are in a brand new, state-of-the-art facility. If you are looking for a stable employer with a solid future and advancement opportunities we invite you apply and join us.
The Welder is responsible for expertly operating Metal Inert Gas (MIG) welding equipment to safely produce beautiful welded metal fabricated parts and assemblies to customer print specifications. These parts are to meet or exceed established quality and productivity standards.
Key Responsibilities and Purpose
The primary responsibility of the Welder is to produce metal fabricated parts and assemblies to customer print specifications using standardized weld processes.
Additional tasks include:
• Expertly operating MIG and/or TIG welding equipment.
• Weld components in flat, vertical, or overhead positions
• Lay out, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to welding, using straightedges, squares, clamps and fixtures
• Ability to make minor welding parameter adjustments to ensure proper weld quality
• Examine work pieces for defects and measure work pieces with standard inspection tools to ensure conformance with drawing specifications
• Supporting achievement of company standards in safety, productivity, and on-time production
• Reporting all property or tool damage immediately to the production supervisor
• Maintaining a satisfactory attendance record, as outlined in the employee handbook
• Using inspection devices (calipers, pin gauges, check fixtures) to inspect parts, according to print and product inspection plan (PIP)
• Selecting and using fixtures, as identified in the process setup sheets, IQS, or job traveler
• Gathering required documents (process photos, process inspection plans, job traveler, print, and work in process parts) to successfully run the job
• Reading the print fully in order to understand tolerances, geometry, weld symbols and special instructions
• Reading job traveler for special instructions
• Labeling work in process parts and finished parts according to the ISO policy
• Separating and labeling non-conforming parts according to the ISO policy
Job Demands and Expectations
The Fabrication Welder represents the values and vision of GSM, meaning welders are expected to continuously improve their knowledge, skills, and abilities to grow both personally and professionally.
This position also requires the employee to seek additional skills trade certification, as reasonably requested by supervisors or managers.
Salary/Wages and Benefits
Wage Range: $15.34 Up to $18.78 per hour, plus premium for 2nd shift
A comprehensive welding assessment helps us determine starting wage
*Your skills and work ethic can propel you quickly through the GSM Skills Advancement Program system designed to increase wages as position proficiency increases. You hold the key to how quickly you move from the New Hire rate then progressing to Qualifying, Level 1, Level 2 and finally to Level 3.
GSM is proud to offer a very competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, holiday and vacation pay, 401 -K Plan, tuition reimbursement and more...
Conditions of Hire
All employment with GSM, Inc. is at-will by the employer and employee and therefore subject to change.